Thursday, September 5, 2013

Happy Anniversary? (Part 2)

What other fun adventures have I been on since divorcing? Probably the biggest was just getting my present job, moving, and finding my career exactly where I wanted it to be. How tremendous!

I've made trips to the Pierogi Fest in 2012 and 2013. If you're of Eastern European ancestry, like me, it's definitely a can't miss event. Plus, it takes place in my dad's hometown. Last year I joined some cousins for the parade. Since they're more distant cousins I've only met a few times, it was a lovely treat. This year, I spent most of Saturday there with my dad & sis. We ran into a number of family members as well as my friend, Rhett. I'd got him hooked on the fest a few years prior. Neither of us realized the other would be there that day! Why does this matter? I could never convince Voldemort to make the trip for the festival, even though he loved pierogi. Well, pooh on you! I'm making it an annual tradition and don't mind planning my summers around it!

In July I turned 34. My parents were in town for the day. We had a terrific time, but I needed something fun to do that evening. I hadn't really made plans since I initially didn't know when they'd be leaving so early. What to do? What to do? No time to make plans with friends, but I did happen to know my childhood crushes were playing in town. I was a HUGE New Kids on the Block fan from about the ages of 10-14. I had never seen them play and when they came to Iowa a few years back, guess who scoffed? Well, it's just me now! So, I called and found a last minute floor seat to see them play along with 98 Degrees and Boyz II Men. What a terrific time! I got to high five most of the guys that night (everyone but Joe), got a handshake and thank you at the end of the show from Jordan, got a birthday wink from Joe (yes, I totally had a sign trying to get some extra TLC), and a wave from Jon. Such a silly, fun, magical night of feeling like a 12 year-old girl... and squealing like one too.

For years I've been talking about making a silent retreat at Gethsemani, KY. While I couldn't make that happen, I was able to make a 7-day silent retreat at another retreat center in the Midwest. I had a delightful time. It was peaceful, relaxing, and quiet. Yes, I managed to not speak for an entire week... with no regrets. It was just tremendous! Someone else in my life would have never believed I could do that. I believe in myself, even/when no one else does.

Lots of other great things have happened in the past two years:
  • Tons of fun adventures with my niece
  • New craft projects
  • Decorating an apartment my way (not that I mind compromise, but this is fun)
  • Helping as a Scout leader for a short time (before I moved)
  • Buying a car on my own (never done that without my dad or L.V.)
  • Blaring my favorite music in the house and car
  • Watching TV shows that L.V. mocked me for liking
So, September really has brought a happy anniversary. I'm happy I am free to be myself. And if there is meant to be a new Mister in my life at some point, we'll just make sure he loves me for me and doesn't squash my spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment