Monday, October 28, 2013

Veni Sancte Spiritus

This weekend was an incredible one at St. Francis of Assisi (you'll recall, not my actual parish). Eighty-five of my smart, talented, obnoxious, clever, annoying, fun students received Confirmation. I adore each and every one of them... even those who are obnoxious or annoying at times. The ways the Holy Spirit spoke to me this weekend were numerous. I am moved to tears just thinking about it.

Friday evening we have a prayer vigil. The music director chants a litany, invoking the saints whose names the students have selected. As I was arriving at the church to set up, I thought about my own Confirmation. My godmother, who was also my sponsor, drove 3+ hours on a Wednesday night to be present for my Confirmation and brought with her my aunt. My aunt and uncle both passed away this past year. As we approach the Feast of All Souls, I couldn't help but be reminded of both of them- the countless cards and notes for special occasions, such as my own Confirmation as well as the many special events in my life that my aunt attended. I pray Aunt E and Uncle M are watching over me.

The prayer vigil was a beautiful service. Having some semblance of what to expect this year, unlike last year as a newbie, it was great. Additionally, I'd had the time to make some changes to make the service more my own. It felt natural, calm, and peaceful.

Saturday was hectic, but in a good way. My assistant and I spent much of the day ensuring last minute details were handled, pews reserved, reception set up for and such. It's a holy chaos, for sure!

Mass was long... 2 1/2 hours. The bishop  promptly apologized after Mass: "I'm out of practice from the spring Confirmations. I rarely go over 2 hours." It didn't matter to me. Every moment was worth it. The choir sang beautifully. The homily was relative and touching (though a tad long). The bishop personalized the Confirmation experience in a way that made every long moment worth it!

Each Confirmand stepped up and I was there to escort/cattle herd the line forward. This gave me a front row seat to the bishop's interactions. Here's what I prepped the kids for:

          Step forward. You sponsor will say, "Bishop this is (insert Confirmation name here)."
The bishop will trace the cross on your forehead with holy chrism and say, 
"Be sealed with the Holy Spirit". You say, "Amen."
He will shake your hand and say, "Peace be with you."
Respond, "And with your Spirit."
Return to your pew.

Here's what really happened (with slight variations for each Confirmand):

"Hi! Who have you brought with you this evening?," Bishop referring to sponsor.
"And why did you pick him/her?"
"Those sound like great qualities. You should learn from him/her."
"I see you chose saint X. Why is that?" or "What is it you liked about that saint?"
"He/she exhibits these qualities which you and I need to have in our lives.                                          Learn from the life of him/her." 
PROCEEDS WITH ABOVE RITUAL. 
Shakes sponsor's hand as well. Maybe another quip or comment before next person.

It took forever. The choir director kept running out of music to play. I stood to the side and dabbed my eyes. It was breathtaking. I loved every minute of it. I was so happy for and proud of my students. 

The bishop who confirmed me passed away earlier this year after a brief, painful battle with cancer. So, back to All Souls' Day, I thought of him as well. I remember nothing from my Confirmation because our interactions with the bishop were so brief and uniform. Rest in peace, Bishop D. You were a good person, but Bishop M was amazing. His Confirmation skills were top notch, no disrespect meant. 

After Mass we had a reception. Two students had gifts for me. Normally, I wouldn't mention this except that the gifts were reminiscent of my own Confirmation. I felt St. Rose of Lima and the Holy Spirit selected those gifts to touch my soul. One student presented me with a dozen roses. They aren't in season. It could have been any flower. No, the Holy Spirit sent roses with him. Even more touching, was the student who made me a bracelet and bookmark herself. Not only were they beautiful but the beads were shaped like, you guessed it, rosebuds. Don't tell me God wasn't intimately present in the choice of flowers and gifts from my students. St. Rose of Lima, pray for me. 

Now, it's Monday. I am enjoying a relaxing day off. The weekend was physically draining, but spiritually uplifting. What more could I ask for?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment