While trendy internet memes are not usually my favorite thing, my personal take on the "Keep Calm and Carry On" trend has made me smile this past week. The logo above is from Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and part of what we do in our work with children is make the materials students use in the atrium (our designated classroom space). Since our parish atria needed major updating, I had ordered lots of materials this summer and purchased necessary items to make other materials.
Well, the summer got busy. Part of my personal goals have been to NOT work 50-60 hours/week as frequently as I had been. That meant some stuff got pushed to the back burner over the summer. So, now I've got nearly 300 students starting classes in 18 hours and there's still much to be done. Guess this week might be a long one, but that's ok. Loving my job gives me the energy to keep plowing ahead, even when it seems daunting.
My catechists and I have been busy sanding, painting, cutting, gluing, and more the past few days. Tomorrow, I will whip the atria (or at least 2 of them since we don't need Level III until Wednesday) into better shape. It will be a long, busy day, but definitely fruitful to watch the children at work! I cannot wait!!
So, how am I going to keep calm when I'm feeling so very behind and there's much to do? How can I prevent lots of those 12-14 hour work days? Survey says... LET IT GO! I realize it's going to take 3-5 years to build the programs at St. Francis to the level where I want them to be and I have to live with that. Projects can wait six months, or a year, or more. I can tell people, you will have to do this project if you want it to happen.
For me, the key to doing this is lessening my anxiety. I tend to get overwhelmed and anxious when I think of where the programs are and where I want them to be. Sigh. I have a personal goal of making it to daily Mass at least once/week, in addition to Sunday Mass. I've done fairly well at this, just missing this week (but it was a short week anyhow due to Labor Day). I've started seeing a spiritual director and hope to keep this up twice/month. When my prayer/spiritual life are on track, I don't have as much anxiety. It's that simple. (Note: ice cream is also good for anxiety, but doesn't have the lasting impact of prayer and the results on your waistline aren't so good.)
In discussing my prayer life with my spiritual director, she gave me a terrific tip. I usually use mantras with English words when I pray because they're familiar. She advised me to use the mantra, "Maranatha" which is often translated, "Come, Lord Jesus". Why? She said when I'm praying and using my own language, I am more likely to start thinking of things I have to do or worrying. She suggested using this word will free me from those associations. I just learned that tip this morning and haven't attempted it yet. I am eager to try it tonight!
I look forward to a calmer, less stressful (school) than the last one or, at least, making sure I focus under less stress/pressure than I put on myself last year.

Hello? Please keep blogging. Just keep blogging! Love, Dorrie
ReplyDeleteFor you? Anything.
Delete